WHAT SORT OF WORK CAN YOU DO?
It is totally up to you if you want to look for your own job or if you would like us to arrange one for you! It is potentially one of the toughest steps in the process – finding an internship or trainee program to take part in before applying for your US work visa. The biggest tips we can give is to do your research, absolutely nail your leading message/email/phone call as well as maintain a high frequency of contact with a number of companies. Have a read of some other tips we have for finding work below.
Narrowing down the search
Questions to consider before searching for an internship, so that you can narrow down the types of companies that you’re looking for.
- Are their specific skills/knowledge that you want to work on or acquire?
- Are their specific companies that you want to intern with?
- Are you looking for a big corporation or a small company? Are you looking for a Non-profit or a for-profit organisation?
- Is the type of organisation more important than the training you will receive, or vice-versa?
- How long of an internship are you looking for?
- Are you looking for an internship in a particular city or region?
- A good idea to choose an area that interests you, and then look for internship possibilities.
Searching for Opportunities
- Use any contacts that you might have, especially professional contacts
- Ask friends, family or mentors if they know about any openings, or have any connections with companies in the USA
- Your University may have a career centre with resources that you would be able to use.
- Research business or trade organisations that may offer job finding resources, or include internal internship opportunities.
- Visit company websites, they will usually have employment opportunities listed. Even if there are no openings listed, you can always contact the human resources manager or hiring manager to enquire about an internship opportunity.
Use online job sites, but make sure you look specifically for internship opportunities. Here are some websites to get you started:
Visit CIEE’s available Internships Blog
If you need clarification on anything or would like to chat with the experts, fill out the form below and one of our team will be in touch by phone and email!