– Sign up to Work Canada Returner and live your Canadian Working Holiday Experience dream a second time! –


Planning a working holiday to Canada can be stressful and confusing – perhaps even more so the second time round. That’s’ where we come in! We’ve been sending Kiwis on working holidays to Canada for over 20 years! We are the experts and are happy to answer any of your questions!

There are so many things to consider when you are going on a working holiday to Canada: When do I have to travel? Where will I live?  How do I get a visa? How much does it cost… and so on! We recommend you review our Work Canada Returner FAQ’s below to learn more about working and living in Canada with IEP. If we don’t answer your questions here just give us a call on 0800 700 705 or contact us here.

What happens when I first get to Canada?

When you first arrive in Canada you will have your initial accommodation booked at a hostel. You can also attend an optional orientation where we will review all the vital information to get you set up in Canada. After that, head off to your job!

If I go on the program, what do I get?

The Work Canada Returner program is full support. We will help you sort your Young Professional visa so you can go back to Canada! You can see what you get on the Work Canada Returner program here.

When do I have to leave?

There is no set departure time for this program, so you leave when you want to. However, you should be using the program within 12 months from with you apply with us. In your application for the visa you will stipulate a date that you intend the visa to commence. You should be arriving on or after this date.

Do I have to buy insurance through IEP?

Yes – the IEP travel insurance policy is a compulsory component of the program. Travel insurance coverage is also mandatory for all participants under the Canadian government visa regulations and you will need to purchase a travel insurance policy from IEP for the full duration of the visa. If you would like to obtain a quote for insurance, please email

How do I find a job?

If you don’t already have a job lined up before you apply, it might take some time for you to find work as you are applying from the other side of the world. Our recommendation is to start with any remaining connections you might still have in Canada. Following that, try being as flexible and reachable as you can while still in New Zealand. Check out our Finding Work page for more information.

If you are eligible for our Work Canada Culinary program but have already gone to Canada we can still provide a placement in a commercial kitchen for a placement fee of $200. Let the Canada coordinators know in your welcome call once you have signed up and we can organize that for you before you leave New Zealand!

What sort of jobs can I do?

There are very specific types of jobs that are eligible with this visa. We suggest checking out our Finding Work page for more information.

Where will I live?

You will choose where you want to live. Many participants will base themselves in either Toronto or Vancouver as the job prospects are quite good there, but this will be dictated by where your job is located. Accommodation is readily available, and listings can be found on them member’s website as well as in the inbound centers.

Who is eligible for the Work Canada program?

You can check the eligibility for the Work Canada Returner program here. If you haven’t been to Canada on the IEC Working Holiday visa yet, then we suggest checking out our Work Canada, Work Canada Summer Jobs or Work Canada Winter Jobs program for first time working holiday makers in Canada.

Do I need to get my criminal record check?

Yes, you will need to get a criminal record check to obtain a Canadian Working Holiday visa. IEP will send you the form you will need to fill out to obtain your criminal record check.

Can I still travel to Canada if I have a criminal conviction?

If you have a criminal conviction you may not be eligible for the visa. Minor offences may be admissible. If you do have any convictions the best thing to do is contact IEP so we can double check your eligibility.

Can I travel anywhere in Canada?

Yes the Canadian Working Holiday visa allows you to travel anywhere within Canada!

Can I visit the US while in Canada?

Yes, the working holiday visa for Canada is multiple entry so you can come and go as you please. If you plan to visit the US while living in Canada you will need to ensure you are satisfying US immigration, this may mean you need a visa to visit the US – this something IEP can assist you with before you leave NZ.

Can I travel with my friend/partner?

Yes, you can travel with a friend or partner as long as they are eligible to work and live in Canada. When you apply for the program, just let us know your travel plans and we will make it happen.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes you will need travel insurance while you are in Canada for your entire intended stay.

Will I have the opportunity to meet other people on the program before I leave?

Absolutely! We have a closed Facebook group where you can meet your fellow travellers all before you leave NZ. This is a great way to ask questions, meet future flat mates as well as see what others are doing in Canada.

Can I drive in Canada on my licence?

You can drive in Canada on your NZ licence for up to 3 months. It is recommended that you get a international drivers licence before you leave. Once in Canada it is best to check with the Province you are residing in to learn more about the local licensing laws.

Do I have to book my flight through STA Travel?

No, it is not a program requirement that you book a flight with STA Travel. We recommend that you speak with our in-house STA Travel agent as she has great flight deals and has a strong knowledge of what kind of ticket you will need to enter Canada. You can contact STA Travel at 0800 55 66 90 or email

Do I need a return or onward ticket?

You need to either be travelling on a return/onward passage ticket or have additional proof of funds to show you can purchase such a ticket. If you are travelling on a one way, then we would encourage you to have at least another CAD$1000-$1500 on top of the CAD$2500 proof of funds you need for the visa.

How do I apply for Work Canada Returner?

To apply all you need to do is visit here and fill out the required contact details and make the application payment of $1095. Once that is done, we will be in touch to start on the Canadian Young Professionals Visa as well as provide you with our expert travel materials.

When should I apply?

At a minimum you should allow for 8-12 weeks. You can apply early and let us know when you want to depart. We will plan everything accordingly so you can leave when you want. It is also a great way to break up fees i.e. program fee, visa fee, insurance, flights.

How do I find out more information?

The best place to find out more is here on the website! We also host information sessions throughout the country and this is a great way to learn more. If you cannot make it to an info session you can give us a call at 0800 700 705, contact us here or find us on Facebook

Still have a few questions? Fill out the form below and one of our team will be in touch by phone and email!

Still have a few questions? Fill out the form below and one of our team will be in touch by phone and email!

Work Canada Returner Enquiry Form