ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE WORK CANADA CULINARY PROGRAM?
To participate for the Work Canada Culinary program you must be eligible for the International Experience Canada (IEC) Working Holiday category to Canada and also have some specific commercial kitchen experience. You can review the IEC working holiday visa guidelines below.
If you have any criminal convictions or have any questions surrounding the visa guidelines please contact us or give us a call on 0800 700 705.
International Experience Canada Working Holiday Visa
This visa allows you to work in Canada for up to 23 months. IEP will help you obtain this visa and to be eligible you must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be a New Zealand citizen with a valid New Zealand passport
- Be aged between 18 to 35 years (inclusive)
- Have no criminal convictions, including serious traffic offences. Minor offences may be admissible. If you have any convictions please contact the IEP office prior to application
As well you will need to:
- Have not participated in the International Experience Canada (IEC) Working Holiday category before
- Provide documentary evidence on arrival in Canada of access to approximately CA$2,500
- Have an insurance policy for the duration of your stay
- Be travelling on a return/onward passage ticket, or have additional proof of funds to show you can purchase such a ticket
Previous Kitchen Experience
Only participants with prior experience in a commercial kitchen will be accepted for Work Canada Culinary. There are a few requirements of how much experience you must have:
- With formal culinary arts qualifications: 1-2 years kitchen experience
- Without formal culinary arts qualifications: 2-4 years kitchen experience
You should allow at least 8-12 weeks for the complete process from submitting your initial application to having your visa issued; however it can take longer depending on if you have criminality, medical or background issues or if the processing time increases.
Citizenship Immigration Canada requires a New Zealand criminal record check to be included with every visa application. This means all participants will have to submit this with their visa application. The criminal record can take a month to get (officially 20 working days) and effectively adds 4- 6 weeks onto the application process.
Also if you have lived in any other country since the age of 18 for more than 6 months then you may require a criminal record check from that country also. Times for obtaining this vary.
Please take this into consideration when selecting your desired departure date.