ARE YOU ELIGIBILE TO WORK IN JAPAN?
You will need to be eligible for the Working Holiday Visa for Japan. To be eligible you must satisfy in full the criteria listed below:
Working Holiday Visa for Japan:
- Be a New Zealand citizen with a valid New Zealand passport residing in New Zealand and be able to apply in person
- Be aged between 18 to 30 years (inclusive) at time of application
- Have no dependent children
- Be in good health
- Have no criminal record
- Have not previously obtained a Work Holiday Visa for Japan (on a passport of any country)
- Provide proof of sufficient funds to support initial stay in Japan – at least NZ$3,000
- Have an insurance policy for the duration of your visa
- Be travelling on a return/onward passage ticket, or have additional proof of funds to show you can purchase such a ticket (further NZ$1,000)
You should allow at least 8-12 weeks for the complete process from submitting your initial application to having your visa issued; however it can take longer depending on if you have medical or background issues or if the processing time increases.
Remember that your main reason for visiting Japan is to holiday and that any work should be casual/temporary to supplement funds. Therefore, your application must show as much detail as possible to all the places you would like to visit and activities you would like to engage in.
New Zealanders who are travelling or living abroad will not be eligible.