WORK AT SUNSHINE VILLAGE
If your dream is to work in Banff, then Sunshine Village is the place to be!
Sunshine Village is located in the heart of the Canadian Rockies in Banff National Park. It consistently has some of the highest, if not the highest, snowfall of all winter resorts in Canada, averaging up to 9 meters! Sunshine Village also boasts one of the longest snow seasons in Canada, running from early November to mid May.
With 107 trails on three mountain faces (Mount Standish, Lookout Mountain, and Goat’s Eye Mountain) Sunshine village is every bit the skier/snowboarder’s dream! The trails range from beginner to expert and they also offer more than 15 acres of Terrain Park. If you are an advanced rider you will find yourself playing in Delirium Drive with pitches of 40 degrees and vertical footage of over 1900 feet!
- Season: Late October/Early November – Late May
- Terrain: 3358 Acres of skiable terrain across three mountains
- Snowfall: Due to the high elevation, Sunshine Village can receive up to 10 metres of snow per season
- Province: Alberta
- Accommodation: Limited
- Minimum Age: 18
Staff Accommodation at Sunshine Village
Sunshine Village offers seasonal on-hill housing to approximately 180 employees out of 800. Each department at Sunshine Village is given a certain number of beds to allocate to their employees based on operational needs, therefore accommodation is not granted to all applicants or for all positions.
Banff is located approximately 20 minutes from the base of Sunshine Village, with an additional 20 minute gondola ride from the base to the Village area. The Village is where their hotel, restaurants, ski lifts and staff accommodation are located. The gondola runs from 7:30am – 5:30pm 6 days a week and 7:30am – 10:30pm on Fridays. This means if you are in staff accommodation you are unable to leave the mountain (with the exception of medical emergencies) outside of these hours, and therefore must be comfortable living in a beautiful remote mountain environment.
There are planned staff events and activities, a restaurant, staff cafeteria, bar, movie rentals and internet available to keep you occupied. Plus of course the opportunity to meet some great friends to socialise with! On Friday nights they have a late gondola and staff bus (until 10:30pm) so you can visit Banff for the evening.
If you do not receive staff accommodation you will need to find your own private accommodation in either Banff or Canmore.
These are very approximate numbers for housing private housing costs;
- Private or shared room in a shared house – CA$450 to $700
- Suite in an apartment or condo that has a separate entrance CA$900-$1000
- 2 bedroom condo in Canmore CA$1100 – $1350 + bills
Jobs at Sunshine Village
Pay rates at Sunshine Village start at CA$12.20/hour.
Interviews for the Winter Jobs program are assigned in order of you when you sign up to the programme, so if you have your eye on a certain job be sure to get your application in ASAP!
Types of jobs available at Sunshine Village:
- Chef de partie
- Custodian – Powder crew
- F&B Cashier
- F&B Supervisor
- Gondola Operator
- Junior Sous Chef
- Lead Cook – Cook 1
- Lift Operator
- Rental Attendant
- Retail Sales Associate
- Retail Sales Key Holder
- Fine Dining Server
- Sous Chef
- Warehouse Attendant
Perks of working at Sunshine Village:
- All full-time staff ski and ride for free at Sunshine
- Ride breaks – depends on business levels of the day
- BIG discounts on 18 other amazing Canadian ski and snowboard resorts
- Organised staff events: Skiing/Snowboarding trips to Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Panorama, Red Mountain, Marmot Basin, Big
- White and Fernie – NHL morning hockey games in Calgary – West Edmonton Mall trips – Big Rock Brewery Tour, Paintball, Ice Fishing