ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE USA?
So you are interested in working in the US and you want to start the adventure! Your first step is to make sure you meet the program and visa requirements. To see if you are eligible just review the requirements below. If you are confused or are unsure with any of the requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.
We understand that not all cases are the same. Maybe you completed your last semester part-time or studied overseas for a bit; whatever the case, be sure to check with us!
To be eligible for the Work USA program you need to:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Hold a New Zealand or Australian passport; and
- Be currently enrolled in full-time study at a recognised tertiary level institute or be a recent graduate from at least 12-months (two consecutive semesters) full-time, study at a recognised tertiary level institute.
- If you are applying as a current full-time student you must have recently completed 12 months of full-time studies prior to departure.
- Recent graduate 12 months eligibility commences from the actual end of full-time classes or study defined as the date of your last exam or last assignment submission.
The following is NOT eligible:
- Part-time courses
- Short courses
These are the broad definitions of the eligibility requirements, and each case does need to be assessed on its own merit. If you have any questions or require further clarification please contact us on 0800 700 705 or contact us here.
Proof of Student Status
You will need to have your eligibility form signed and stamped with the institution’s seal by the: polytechnic/university registrar, or student administration officer, or supervising professor or tutor. If you want a ‘Proof of Student Status‘ form just contact us and we will send one to you!
Additional Visa Criteria
The J-1 visa that you get through Work USA program allows you to work in virtually any job, anywhere in the USA. The exceptions are that you cannot work as a Medical Intern, Nanny/Au-pair, Domestic help, Football/Soccer coach or Camp Counsellor (see Summer Camp USA pages), and a few others.
You cannot be accompanied by spouse or dependents. You cannot be a commercial driver.