ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN CANADA?
To be eligible for the Work Canada Summer Jobs program you must be available to work an entire summer season in Canada. The roles can start anywhere from February to March and job contracts last for around 5-6 months. You can review each employer’s start dates on the Work Canada Summer Jobs Employers page.
Most roles do not require previous experience. Obviously previous experience is beneficial when applying for high-end hotel environments, but your best asset is enthusiasm and a good attitude.
You also need to be eligible for the International Experience Canada (IEC) Working Holiday category to Canada.
To be eligible you must satisfy in full the criteria listed below:
International Experience Canada Working Holiday Visa
- Be a New Zealand citizen with a valid New Zealand passport
- Be aged between 18 to 35 years (inclusive)
- Have no criminal convictions, including serious traffic offences. Minor offences may be admissible. If you have any convictions please contact the IEP office prior to application
As well you will need to:
- Have not participated in the International Experience Canada (IEC) Working Holiday category before
- Provide documentary evidence on arrival in Canada of access to approximately CA$2,500
- Have an insurance policy for the duration of your stay
- Be travelling on a return/onward passage ticket, or have additional proof of funds to show you can purchase such a ticket
You can apply for the Work Canada Winter Jobs before you apply for the Canadian Working Holiday Visa.
You should allow at least 8-12 weeks for the complete process from submitting your initial application to having your visa issued; however it can take longer depending on if you have criminality, medical or background issues or if the processing time increases.
Citizenship Immigration Canada requires a New Zealand criminal record check to be included with every visa application. This means all participants will have to submit this with their visa application. The criminal record can take a month to get (officially 20 working days) and effectively adds 4- 6 weeks onto the application process.
Also if you have lived in any other country since the age of 18 for more than 6 months then you may require a criminal record check from that country also. Times for obtaining this vary.
Please take this into consideration when selecting your desired departure date.