What is an IEC Working Holiday Visa?

‘What is an IEC working holiday visa and how do I get one?’ is a common question we get asked here at the IEP office, so we thought we would try and shed some light on this subject. Taking a Gap Year to Canada is on a lot of Kiwi’s bucket lists.

Canadian Immigration has set simple guidelines for you to meet; hold a New Zealand or Australian passport, meet an age restriction (18 to 35 yrs), plus have no criminal convictions and you should be good to go! Simple enough to understand!


IEC Working Holiday Visa

The IEC Working Holiday Visa is an open work permit that allows applicants to work anywhere in Canada in their field of choice for up to 24 months (23 months for New Zealanders)… You do not need a pre-arranged job on the IEC Working Holiday Visa and you can choose where you want to live and work. The only restrictions under the IEC Working Holiday Visa are that the work must be legal (obviously) and if you are planning on working in the medical field, or with children, you must undergo a medical assessment by a CIC approved panel physician as part of the application process.


IEC Working Holiday Visa Eligibility

The eligibility for the IEC Working Holiday Visa is fairly simple. You will just need to hold a New Zealand or Australian passport, be +18 yrs old and have no criminal convictions.

Are you confused on whether you are eligible? … Probably! Best thing to do is contact us and let us figure it out for you.


Applying for an IEC Working Holiday Visa

So, you want to take advantage of this visa – good on ya! First step is to apply here. Just fill out the contact details and pay the application fee. Once that is complete we will contact you and double check your eligibility (if you’re not eligible you get a full refund). You tell us your plans and we explain the process – simple. You will then need to submit a profile into the IEC Working Holiday Visa pools and it’s all go from there! You will submit the required documentation which will be sent to CIC for processing. Once you’ve submitted your application you have 30 days to head to your nearest CVAC (Canadian Visa Application Centre) to complete your biometric and from there its just a matter of waiting for your visa to be approved!


Where will I work & live?

The glory of this visa is that you choose where you live and work! If you wanted to work at PR firm in Toronto, or as a bartender in Vancouver… you can!  That is what makes this visa/program so amazing, YOU choose your adventure. We provide support and guidance for finding work and accommodation, but ultimately you get what you want from the experience. If you need some tips on how to look for a job in Canada just contact us.

Maybe you like the security of having a pre-arranged job before you leave home.. if so take a look at the Work Canada Winter Jobs, Work Canada Summer Jobs or Work Canada City Jobs programs. You will travel on the same Working Holiday visa but we will organise a job at a ski resort or downtown employer for you before you even leave home. After the initial season you can stay in the same area or head somewhere else – it’s your adventure.


Already completed a Working Holiday Visa participation and want to spend more time working in Canada?

You’re in luck! IEP is the only company in NZ that has gained access to an exclusive visa called the “Young Professional” visa. The Young Professional visa allows applicants who have already completed their once in a lifetime visa to stay on for up to another 23 months in Canada.

To be eligible for the Young Professiona visa, you must meet all of the eligibility requirements of the IEC Working Holiday visa, as well as have an employer that is willing to sponsor you for the $230CAD employer contribution fee and offer you a contract for the duration of your time in Canada under the YP visa. The role that you are offered must also meet the criteria of a NOC code A, B or 0. Not sure what NOC code your role falls under? No worries! Get in touch to learn all about it!


Want more IEC Working Holiday Visa Info?

If you want more information you can register your interest in one of our Canada programs – once we have your details we will reach out by email and phone to answer any questions you have. If you are ready to sign up – hit the button below and get started on making your dream working holiday in Canada a reality!