Let us help you breakdown the costs of a Gap Year

Planning a gap year is exciting but it can be difficult to know where to start. If this is your first time heading overseas alone it’s hard to know what to expect. Once you’ve decided where you want to go, researching costs and saving up will no doubt be one of your first worries. There are some basic costs that you can expect to pay when you’re planning a gap year, these are costs you can’t avoid so it pays to keep these in mind when planning!

Basic Gap Year costs that you can expect:

  • Passport Fees: The most basic requirement for any overseas working holiday is a passport. Applying for a new passport can cost around $200.
  • Program Fee: Depending on the working holiday program you sign up for, this will be one of the first costs you will pay. The programs on offer from IEP can take you to Canada, America or the UK with a range of support options for each country. We can assist with getting you through the gruelling visa application process, organise an arrival orientation to set you up when you arrive, we can even help to organise a job before you leave. The price of the program you select will reflect the level of support involved, you can expect to pay between $195 and $1500 depending on what you need from us. For more information, check out our programs here.
  • Visa Fees: There can be a few different fees that you need to pay when you’re applying for a work visa. IEP can advise you on exactly what fees to expect for any of the visas we provide assistance for. Visa application fees can range from $200 to $700 depending on where you are going.
  • Flights: Again, this depends on where you are going and when but these can range from $1500 to $2500. Check out our in-house Flights Team here.
  • Insurance: For most working holiday visa programs, it is a requirement to take out a travel insurance policy for the duration of your visa. Where it is not a requirement, it is always our recommendation to make sure you’ve got insurance in case anything happens while you’re so far from home. Again, this is something that IEP can assist with. For a 12 month insurance policy you can expect to pay from $1100 to $2100. Learn more about our insurance here.
  • Proof of funds: Whether you’re on an IEP program to Canada, the UK or to the US you will need to take proof of funds along with you. Depending on where you’re going you can expect to need from $600 to $4000. Get in touch with us here at IEP for more information.

How do you start planning and saving?

The most important part of planning for the upcoming costs of a gap year is getting more information on what costs to expect. IEP can provide a more specific breakdown of costs, feel free to contact us here or call 0800 700 705.

Gap Year Saving Tips!

  1. Start EARLY.
  2. Planning is key. Find out what costs to expect and when you need to pay them. This way you can prioritise which payments are more urgent than others.
  3. Be honest with yourself and do your best to cut out bad spending efforts! Track your spending for a fortnight to figure out where you can make changes.
  4. Make reasonable, achievable goals!
  5. Talk to your bank about services they might be able to provide to help you save.
  6. Think outside the box if you’re wanting to generate some extra cash. Could you take up some extra work, even just some babysitting or dog walking? Could you hold a garage sale to sell off things you won’t need when you’re away?

Need more information?

We are here to help, so if you have any questions please contact us here or give us a call on 0800 700 705. We also have FREE Information Evenings where we review everything you need to know about living and working overseas. See if we are visiting your town here.