So, you always hear people saying that “Camp is a tradition” or “Whole families attend the same camp” but what does that mean? Is it really that much of a thing? OHH YES. So much so that some celebs such as Jake & Maggie Gyllenhaal, Patrick Dempsey and Jonah Hill were at Summer camp.
Before they moved to Hollywood and everyone knew their names, celebs were children just doing their own thing, without paparazzi stalking them for pics. Check out this blog of celebs who spent their summers kayaking through lakes and rivers of American wilderness. Just think, you might be working with a Superstars Child!
1. Hank Azaria: Camp Towanda, PA
Before he perfected his voice for
The Simpsons (and, more importantly, was David, Phoebe’s geeky-scientist boyfriend on Friends), Hank Azaria attended this well-known, 8-week, co-ed sleepaway camp.
2. Larry David: All-American Camp, NY
We can’t really imagine Larry David as anyone but a cranky, brutally-honest, old, Jewish man, but we are prett-ay prett-ay sure he was a (hopefully) happy, brutally-honest, old-at-heart Jewish man while at camp.
3. Patrick Dempsey: Camp Wekeela, ME
Young Dr. McDreamy in a cabin in Maine. This just makes sense.
4. Jonah Hill: Indian Head Camp, PA
He is thankfully not a camp love-child, but his parents did meet at Indian Head, so of course he had to go there too!
5. Natalie Portman and… Robert Downey Jr., Lea Michele, Skylar Astin, Zach Braff, Mandy Moore, Bryce Dallas Howard: Stagedoor Manor, NY
Where all the cool kids went. Apparently, going to camp gives you much higher chances of becoming an A-list celeb. Where do we sign up?
6. Zooey Deschanel, Jon Favreau, and Adam Levine: French Woods, NY
Perhaps for the more low-key celeb campers out there, but definitely not any less A-list.
7. The Coen Brothers, Bob Dylan: Camp Herzl, WI
8. Clive Davis: Camp Equinuk, PA
Music + camp = perfection.
9. Meg Wolitzer: Indian Hill Summer Arts Camp, MA
New York Times best-selling novel, The Interestings, is based on a group of life-long friends that went to sleepaway camp together in the 70s. Besides the pot and the alcohol, camp is basically the same today as it was then… basically.
10. Ralph Lauren: Camp Massad, PA
Ralph Lauren, formerly known as Ralph Lifshitz, told Oprah that one of the “highlights of his life” was being named Color War General at camp.
11. Wolf Blitzer: Camp Ramah
This CNN personality goes way back in the camp world, and is a big supporter of Summer 365!
12. Seth Rogen: Camp Miriam, British Columbia
13. Sheryl Sandberg: URJ Coleman, GA
Definitely Color War Captain material… she totally won tug o’ war with the “lean in” method.
14. Mark Zuckerberg: Island Lake Camp, PA
We pegged him as more of a computer camp kid, but guess his social awareness had to start somewhere.
15. Mark Cuban: Emma Kaufmann Camp, WV
16. Denzel Washington: YMCA Camp Sloane, CT
Being an action hero isn’t easy, but being a camp counselor, now
that’s hard work.
17. Harrison Ford: Camp Napowan, WI
18. Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal: Walt Whitman, NH
Going to camp with your older sister was
totally worth it, if it meant getting unrestricted access to girls’ side.
19. Julia and Emma Roberts: Camp Birchwood, MN
It’s a camp family affair! Clearly these ladies learned how to keep it down-to-earth during their summers at camp.
20. Halston Sage: Camp Laurel South, ME
Living in a bunk with 12 girls, Halston learned how to deal with her
21. Adam Sandler: URJ Eisner Camp, MA
You ain’t cool unless you went to camp… and maybe peed your pants. Adam clearly picked up lots of material during his experiences over the summer.
22. BONUS: Seth Cohen from The O.C.
Seth claims he was the All-Camp Capture the Flag Champion at Camp Takajo. It was there that he also learned his infamous stealth skills.